FEBRUARY 1, 2019
The Barefoot Caring Council is a community service group committed to identifying, implementing and leading activities to support local charities and non-profit organizations. Our success depends upon the participation of residents from our Barefoot communities. Residents can participate by donating their time, resources, talents and/or ideas to Caring Council activities. Upcoming activities are regularly posted on the BRRA website, the Barefoot Golf website and distributed by the Lifestyle Director for the Residents’ Club.
Over the last two years, our partnership with the Life Style Committee has been extremely valuable to ensure we reach each community. Each year, new activities are added to our calendar from suggestions brought to us by Barefoot residents. In 2018, we added two new activities and already have two new activities lined up for 2019. The Barefoot Caring Council is not affiliated with the BRRA Board nor is it part of the Barefoot Residents’ Club. Our success is due 100% to the unbelievable generosity of our residents. THANK YOU!
Food Drive for Helping Hands (Chair: Kathy Check)
- Twice a year – spring and fall.
- Collection points at Ponderosa and Residents’ Club.
- Overwhelming response from multi- and single-family communities.
Mobile Meals (Chair: Joan Maleckar)
- Approximately every 6-8 weeks, Barefoot residents donate their time for a week period to assist with the delivery of meals to local shut-ins and families in need.
- Joan and her core team have successfully rallied the necessary volunteers every week to support this important cause.
Books for Summer Reading (Chair: Susan O’Keefe)
- Each spring NMB elementary schools provide a suggested summer reading list to their K-6 students. Since many students cannot afford to purchase these books, book donations (new and used) are requested from our residents.
- Donations are delivered 2-3 weeks before the end of school.
- Our 2018 collection was not as successful as our 2017 drive. This year, we are taking steps to engage more residents in this worthy activity! Former teachers know how important it is to keep students engaged in the learning process over the summer! Please help us out this spring!
Book Bag Drive for Teen Angels (New 2018 Activity)
- Last spring, Teen Angel struggled to cope with an unexpected influx of seasonal families into NMB. Teen Angel requested help to provide book bags for the students in these families.
- Response was outstanding and we collected over 40 book bags for Teen Angel!
School Supplies for NMB Elementary Schools (Chair: Eileen Roddy)
- Barefoot has sponsored a School Supplies Drive every July for the last few years.
- Times were hard this past year for our community and many more families and teachers struggled to find the money to purchase necessary supplies.
- Our residents were extremely generous with their donations, enabling us to provide all three NMB elementary schools with multiple bags/boxes of school supplies!
Red Cross Blood Drive (New 2018 Activity)
- First year that we have had the Red Cross Blood Mobile at the Barefoot Golf Clubhouse.
- Registered 31 donors and collected 24 pints of blood.
- Exceeded the Red Cross’ expectations!
Holiday Bazaar Benefiting Teen Angel (Chair: Gwenn McDaniel; Committee Chairs: Marilyn Nairn, Ann Seplow, Linda Ort, Deb Robillard, Karen Kemp, Charlene Dougherty)
- Held again at the Barefoot Golf Clubhouse with 24 Arts and Crafts Vendors.
- Residents generously donated 69 gift baskets for the Silent Auction, raising $5,631.
- Two winners of Wagon of Cheer this year: one for wagon of liquor and a runner-up for a basket of wine, raising $3,830.
- Additional income from 50/50 raffle, Santa’s Café and the Bakery (Carol Hartofil).
- Presented Teen Angel with total donation of $11,600, up 21% over 2017!
Barefoot Christmas Wishing Tree for Needy Families (Chairs: Eileen Roddy & Laura Simeon)
- Formerly known as the Teen Angel Tree.
- Counselors from our three NMB elementary schools selected 12 students who might otherwise not receive any Christmas presents.
- Each child provided a wish list of 3-4 presents.
- Huge success, all ornaments were taken by our residents and we were able to make 36 children very happy at Christmas!
Clothing & Toy Drive (Chairs: Nancy Gosiewski, Anne Kepple, Sarah Burgan, Linda Ort, Gwenn McDaniel)
- Benefiting the 30 th Annual Community Christmas Day Dinner, St. John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Church furnishing over 7500 meals, clothing and toys to any and all needy people on Christmas Day (no questions asked).
- Extremely generous donations from Barefoot Residents: delivered over 200 bags of gently used clothes, blankets and personal accessories.
- This year, we also collected new toys for children attending the Christmas dinner.
- Thanks to our resident, Chuck Allen, the Caring Council connected with the Spokes Non-Profit in Little River who donated over 3 truck loads of diapers and blankets, much needed items and very much appreciated by the organizers of this event!
Secret Santa Project for Summit Place Assisted Living and Memory Care (Chairs: Carolyn Marsh and Maureen O’Callaghan)
- At Christmas, we wanted to help our seniors by sponsoring a Secret Santa Project for Summit Place (last year, we worked with Myrtle Beach Manor).
- Summit Place’s Activity Director identified activity items that their seniors would enjoy.
- We collected big print word search books, puzzles and games and scheduled a time for a Holiday Party with their residents.
- Over 35 residents attended the party and it was a blast!! Together, we sang Christmas Carols, learned a hand jive routine, handed out gifts to residents and enjoyed refreshments furnished by us and Summit Place!