DECEMBER 1, 2018
– Crime Prevention Officer William McLeod, City of North Myrtle Beach Police Department
Vehicle Security During the Holiday Season
With the Holiday Season upon us, we felt it would be a good time to remind everyone about practicing good vehicle security. Below are some Tips on vehicle security.
- NEVER leave the keys in your vehicle.
- Always lock the doors, even when you are away from the vehicle for a short time.
- NEVER leave your vehicle running unattended.
- Always roll up your windows when you leave your vehicle, even when it’s parked in the driveway or garage.
- Place items out of sight before you reach your destination. If you can’t take personal property with you, lock valued items in the trunk of the vehicle. Do not place them under the seat. This includes your purse or wallet, CDs, books, cash, keys, cell phone, laptop, garage door opener, gym bag, briefcase, jewelry, tools, packages, etc.
- If a thief breaks into your vehicle and steals your garage door opener and/or keys, they now have access to your home.
- Do not leave ANY mail in your vehicle. These have your name, address and possibly contain personal financial information.
- Park in well-lighted areas. At home, park your vehicle near porch lights if you don’t have a garage. Install motion detectors.
- At night park in well-lighted areas with pedestrian traffic if possible.
- Set all alarms or anti-theft devices.
- NEVER leave any documents, credit cards or checkbook in your vehicle.
- Remove the vehicle registration from your vehicle and keep it with you.
- NEVER place hidden keys in the car.